Monday, October 22, 2007

Some Beautiful Comparisons

After reading Mathi's short story...I was reminded of some beautiful comparisons I read in a book some time back.

I present to you these excerpts...which have taken a long time to sink in me but nevertheless....every time I read it is different.

"The most commonly used form for large classical works is the sonata form. It is the basis of almost all symphonies and concertos. It consists of three main sections: the exposition or the opening in which little ideas, themes, bits and pieces are introduced to each other; the development in which these ideas and motifs are explored to their fullest, expanded from major to minor and back again and are developed and woven togather in greater complexity until atlast there is: the recapitulation, in which there is a restatement, a glorious expression of the full, rich maturity to which the tiny ideas have grown through the development process."

"At this late juncture, it occurs to me that a chess metaphor might be useful. Chess is a game in which each party has its own singular objective even as it engages the other; a mid game in which a struggle develops and bits and pieces of each side are lost; both sides diminished; an end game in which one traps and paralyzes the other. I think you see life as a chess game; I see it as a sonata. And because of these differences both the king and the queen are lost and the song is silenced".

Distinctively different yet so strikingly similar.It is wonderful as to how two unrelated metaphors can look through the same issue with different pair of eyes.

14 comments:

Keshi said...

nice comparisons Priti :) hows u?


Keshi.

Anonymous said...

standing and clapping

Girl of Destiny said...

what book is this?? Who's the author?

The comparison is splendidly done! Thought provoking too.
Eager to get my hands on that book!

Barani said...

Bridge across forever :))

priti said...

Keshi - I m good...how about you?

Chriz - Thanks...kudos to the author.. :)

Mat - I somehow had a feeling you'll like this book...It is called "The Bridge Across forever" by Richard Bach...Do let me know if you need an e-copy I'll mail it to you :)

Barani - Thanks for the Intro :)

pal said...

i think one of the beauties of art is though there is criteria to go by such as composition, anatomy, color schemes, etc that everyone has the right to enjoy what they want out of a piece and be subjective to there preferences. That said, its great when you see variations of pieces that range from more realistic to contemporary and so on.

pal said...

Hi....priti,,how r u..If ur interested,plz visit my world....

http://mywork-pal.blogspot.com/

pal said...

Hi....priti,
Thanx for visit my world,& give me a nice comment.u know shnatiniketan in kalkata?i wish i will admited there,doing masters in next year(session)...
ok ..thanks again....best wish

Anonymous said...

yupp.. and dont sleep for long.. come back to blogging world...

Naveen said...

Nice thoughts and nice writing.
But where is the song??? :)

Neha Nair said...

Good one...a lil complicated though.. but good

ഗിരീഷ്‌ എ എസ്‌ said...

Nice One

Anonymous said...

been a while... get up

Anonymous said...

wake up ladeeeeeeeeeeee