Saturday, March 10, 2007

Back after a Hiatus

Its been a while since I posted anything in my blog...I wouldnt want to continue this trend for long...This post is again a mixture of all my experiences of the near past..Most of us must have come across many people with disabilities...I specifically did come across some of them in the very recent past when I was shopping for groceries...They were all standing in a line holding their cart and we came from the other side...they just looked like normal people but were smiling at everyone they saw..and since we were passing by they smiled at us too...in a weird way I would say...I really dint feel very comfortable and one of them even offered a handshake...we just waved them and left...I was so startled....for a second..I was scared, confused if i have to respond back, felt sorry for them and was very angry with God for having made them like them...It just took a few seconds to cross them but those few seconds got themselves etched in my mind..and for a few minutes i wasnt sure as to what i was doing...Then I kinda got busy with shopping and completely forgot about it...The very next day when I was going to school...I saw another guy trying to ride a bicycle and was struggling very badly..his hands were shaking like crazy but still there he was driving...there were times when he would almost get off the pavement and get on the mainroad where the cars were speeding...and all I could do was to pray that he would reach his destination safe and sound.

If you guys are still wondering who I m talking about...its about those with physical and mental disabilities...I was wondering as to how I would behave if i did have any of those disabilities...I would completely crumble under such circumstances....The same night I dreamt of being a blind person during my sleep...and that was a nightmare....The very thought of not seeing light suffocated me out and in five minutes I was groping around for my cellphone or alarm clock hoping it was not real...and it wasnt(otherwise i wudn be writing this now)...This got me wondering on something that I've experienced all my life...there have been many times when I've come across such people and all that we did was to move away from them and pity them for their condition...Is that what they need??? Dont they deserve something better like love and affection from the rest of society....They have been deprived of so many things and the least we can do is to make them feel like one amongst us....It is indeed so painful to be ignored by the whole society as social outcasts...

One of my recent experiences when I'd been to India was in a Train...When we were travelling in an Electric train in chennai(ooh man ....miss those good ol times)...a lady got into the train with her small boy...he seemed a perfectly normal kid like all the kids of his age but his behavior was like that of a 5 year old kid..and he kept on repeating his questions to his mom...His mom sat beside us and he was standing near me...It was about a 45 minutes journey for me and for most people it would have been nagging...to be hearing the same thing over and over again...but his mom patiently answered all his questions everytime he asked for it...I was so surprised and happy as to how supportive and understanding the lady was of the boy's illness and most of the people in the compartment unlike pitying him...was encouraging him to talk more and more by answering his questions in a different way and that happiness on his face when he had so many people talking to him normally ..wooow..thats true happiness...I felt very happy too on seeing him happy....This was probably one of the most insignificant incidents that took place during my India trip...I havent mentioned about this to anybody....I realized that it did affect me a great deal only after the string of incidents that happened in the recent past.. Being a Biomedical Engineer I should probably go back to helping these kinda people in every possible way that I can..after a while :)

The Last thing that I m gonna talk about is my changing interests.....It is so hard for me to be interested in something all the time...I hope i dont lose interest in blogging after a while...It is just so predominant...that its been doing a lotta damage to my research progress too :(....One funny thing that I remember from today's conversation with my friend would describe my condition very aptly...I was having a fruit(Pears) today and mentioned to my friend that it was one of my all time favorite fruits..though i've had it only 2-3 times and she was like for how long is it gonna be "one of your all time favorites" ? hehe :)..Currently I m into a lotta things like eating fruits (pears), singing old hindi songs, researching and watching fairy tale movies :)...Have a good Weekend ye all :)


I recorded a song called Ruke Ruke se kadam from Mausam originally sung by Lata Mangeshkar....I guess it does reflect the tone of the post..Recorded this one quite a while back...Hope you enjoy the song...Please leave your valuable comments

RUKE RUKE SE KADAM

Dial Up: Click Here
Broadband: Click Here

3 comments:

Naveen said...

I listened to this song at 1 O clock midnight. Had a very nice relaxing feeling with that cold breeze at my window...
Excelent work..:).

Awatts said...

Very soothing tune, if only i heard this an hour later, i would have been fast asleep...never knew this song before. Glad you introduced me to this!

priti said...

Naveen - Thanks for those kind words :)...will keep doing more of them :)

Awatts - glad you liked the song....I've grown up hearing to these kinda songs...I m flattered..thanks :)